When Laura brought her prom dress home from Miss Priss back in March I knew that it was a special dress, and I wanted to do a photo shoot that lived up to the dress. It totally reminded me of a black wedding dress. I wanted to help make up for the fact that the Class of 2021 couldn't have a junior prom last year and has missed out on so much more because of Covid-19. I cashed in a few favors and took her to an old mansion that is still fully furnished and hasn't been lived in since the 1960s. I wanted plenty of time to work it so I took her out of school a couple of days before the actual prom, and spent almost three hours shooting. She was a trooper as we endured a warm day in an old house with no air conditioning.
A few notes about the shoot...
1. The bath tub was her idea. I told her about Annie Leibovitz's famous shot of Whoppie Goldberg in a bathtub of milk.
2. She didn't exactly get my humor, but I told her on the phone shot to say in a really hick accent, "Sarah, this is Andy can you get me Floyd?"
3. The old trunks in the attic were still full of clothes, shoes, and hats.
4. Casting her inside her own shadow in the mirror was a complete accident, although, I will take credit.
5. The dirty foot was also her idea. She said it was a good contrast to the lace.
6. The street photos are in Lexington on prom night with her best friend Paige. Both of these beautiful girls were unfortunately dateless and decided to go eat together in Lexington before the dance.